In 1810, frontier revivalists split from the PCUSA and organized the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
Throughout the 1820s, support and opposition to revivalism hardened into well-defined factions, the New School and Old School respectively.
S., and known for its relatively progressive stance on doctrine.
The PC(USA) was established by the 1983 merger of the Presbyterian Church in the United States, whose churches were located in the Southern and border states, with the United Presbyterian Church in the United States of America, whose congregations could be found in every state.
The denomination had 1,482,767 active members and 19,721 ordained ministers in 9,451 congregations at the end of 2016.
By the 1838, the Old School–New School Controversy had divided the PCUSA.
There were now two general assemblies each claiming to represent the PCUSA.
Some local Presbyterian churches, such as Briery in Prince Edward County, owned slaves.
The Briery church purchased five slaves in 1766 and raised money for church expenses by hiring them out to local planters.